Friday, February 5, 2010

Athlete Q and A: Women's Volleyball: Anna Herold

1. Why did you come to SPU?
It's kind of funny that I ended up here at SPU. I've grown up in the area and never, even through the most intensive parts of recruiting, thought of SPU as a possibility for me. I had always wanted to get away from home through my college experience and find somewhere new. The closer I got to being college-bound the more I realized that it wasn't so necessary for me to get away quite yet. Through a club coach of mine, I had heard that SPU was interested in me and the rest is history. The final straw was the academics here at SPU and the the good price I was getting to receive them.

2. What is it like being a student athlete?
I would never choose anything else. Though it may be hard at times to juggle classes and a sport, especially during season with our various travels, I would be bored if I was not a student athlete. Most of the teachers here at SPU understand when we miss classes due to our sport, but it is something that you have to repeatedly remind them about to make sure that it does not hamper your grade. The best part of being a student athlete is the relationships you build with fellow athletes, especially your own teammates who are the people you build memories with that will never be forgotten.

3. What is your favorite memory (on or off the court)?
My favorite memory is both on and off the court. It took place last year (my freshman season) when we travelled to play NNU at their gym, on their homecoming, senior night, and parents weekend. We came back and beat them in the fifth game, even with the most heckling most of us freshmen had ever experienced (coming from the rowdy crowd of students right behind our bench). The celebration was insane on the court once we won, but even better when we got to the locker room, which is the nicest locker room we have been in to this day AND with the best music system. I will admit that we got in a little trouble for getting too crazy in there, but that memory will last us all a lifetime.


Anna Herold is a standout sophmore libero for the Women's Volleyball Team. She has broken the record for digs in a season at SPU, was awarded Freshman of the Year in the GNAC (2008), 2nd Team GNAC (2009), and on the All Academic GNAC Team (2009). Anna is an Excercise Science Major from Bothel, WA.

1 comment:

  1. That's one of my favorite SPU volleyball moments as well! I'm glad Anna made the choice to come here :)

    ReplyDelete