Sunday, February 7, 2010

Athlete Q and A: Men's Cross Country: Chad Meis

1. What does it mean to be a student athlete here at SPU?
Being a student-athlete at SPU is an awesome privilege and also a responsibility. Being a collegiate athlete while also trying to get a degree is definitely a challenge, but it's very rewarding at the same time. It forces you to manage your time well and to also stay organized (not that I'm efficient at either one)... It's awesome being able to support your teammates and coaches within the sport while still pursuing your academic goals. The professors at SPU do a great job of working with student-athletes in this process. Being an athlete also makes you more aware of your actions, since you are a more visible representative of SPU to other schools.

2. What is your favorite moment at SPU (on the court and off)?
My favorite moment on the track would probably be running my second 3000m steeplechase last season at Sac State where I lowered my time by 30 seconds and got a National Provisional mark (my first race the week before had been a pretty rough start to the steeplechase). Off the track, pretty much all of my favorite memories come from hanging out with the XC guys. Long van-rides to the meets, team retreats at Camp Casey, and ice cream nights are all things that I will probably remember longer than the actual races.

3. Why did you choose SPU?
I chose SPU because of its engineering program, its strong Christian values, and the Cross Country team (and GWINN!). I'm very glad that I came to SPU, and I would definitely choose to go here again. The community aspect of SPU was/is way better than all of the other schools I looked at.

Chad Meis is a senior competing for the Men's Cross Country Team as well as the Men's Track and Field Team. Most recently he broke the school's indoor record for the mile with a time of 4:11.39.

No comments:

Post a Comment